Balsam Lake Public Library In-House Use Guidelines for iPad Borrowing
- Only current MORE consortium library cardholders in good standing may borrow an iPad for use in-house. “Good standing” is defined as a library account and any custodial children/guardians’ accounts having no ‘billed’ items.
- The cardholder must be 18 years of age or older or have a signed, by parent or legal guardian, I-pad use form on file giving permission and rights of use to child between 10-17 years of age. Children younger than 10 will need a parent to check out the item and must remain present with the child.
- The cardholder must present his/her actual library card.
- In addition, a photo ID will be required, either by the signing parent/legal guardian or by the adult checking out the material. The ID can be a Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, Student ID and/or Passport photo which contain the cardholder’s name and an identifiable photo.
- Only one checkout of an iPad per day per cardholder will be permitted regardless of total time actually used.
- In-house use iPad loan periods are for up to 2 hours or less depending on library hours and time of use.
- iPads for in-house use may not be reserved. Available iPads for use in-house will be obtainable on a first-come, first-served basis.
- An iPad will be checked out onto the eligible cardholder’s library account while the iPad is used in-house. The checkout will occur at the Circulation Desk starting at the time the library opens and up to 2 hours before the library closes.
- In-house use iPads must remain inside the library at all times. Leaving the library building with an in-house use iPad will be considered theft of library property by the Balsam Lake Public Library and will be reported as such to the proper legal authorities.
- Do not leave a checked-out iPad unattended. Library staff is not responsible for checked-out iPads or accessories.
- Be careful with the iPad. Keep it safe from water and other liquids and take care not to drop it.
- Immediately report to the Circulation Desk any loss of, or damage to, an iPad. Do not attempt to troubleshoot problems with the iPad.
- The iPad Borrowing Agreement must be completed with each in-house use, acknowledging financial responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged equipment.
- Once an iPad is checked out onto a cardholder’s library record, it becomes the sole responsibility of that cardholder per the Borrower’s Agreement.
- Cardholders are responsible for complying with Library Board Policies on Computer and Internet Use. This document is available upon request.
- iPads must be returned to the library staff at the Circulation Desk no later than 1 hour before the library closes. The cardholder must remain at the Circulation Desk until all equipment has been checked to make sure that all pieces are accounted for, checked in and cleared from the cardholder’s card and the Borrower Agreement is signed and dated signifying a proper return.
- iPads may not be returned to an unattended public desk.
- The library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly late in returning an iPad or its accessories.
- Library staff will load content onto the iPad.
- United States Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S. Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproductions or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principle of “fair use.” This includes most digital information resources.
- Content will be returned to the library’s default content choices at the end of each use. Any content added by the cardholder during their checkout period will be lost. “Content” includes, but may not be limited to, applications (“apps”); downloaded material, such as music, audiobooks or e-books; photos, video recordings, website shortcuts, and text files.
- The library reserves the right to update and change this policy at any time without notice. It is the responsibility of the cardholder to read and accept the current version of the Borrower Agreement and iPad Guidelines.
Approved by the Balsam Lake Public Library Board of Trustees, August 25, 2014
Patrons are responsible for any damage, loss, or theft of the IPad while it is checked out to them.
Replacement costs are as follows:
Lost or damaged IPad -$ 625.00 (32 GB) $ 825.00 (64GB)
Travel case -$ 25.00
Bluetooth keyboard $70.00
Keyboard folio $110.00
USB cord-$ 20.00
IPad Borrowing Agreement
By checking out the IPad I am assuming responsibility for any damage, loss or theft of the device while it is checked out to me. I acknowledge that I will be responsible for the entire replacement cost of the IPad. I acknowledge that my use of the IPad is restricted to the content installed. I am at least 18 years old and my account is unblocked.
My signature below indicates that I have read and agree to the terms of the IPad Circulation Policy and the IPad Borrowing Agreement.
__________________________ _______________ _______________________
Print name Phone # Card number
STAFF CHECKLIST - initials________
IPad #___________ IPad set complete: ______