Thank you for your interest in making a donation to the Balsam Lake Public Library.
The Balsam Lake Public Library welcomes your donated books, audio books, movies, music, and magazines.
Your donation will be added to the Library's collection or sold at the Friends of the Balsam Lake Public Library book sales
or used to help enhance our programs and services.
Book Donation Guidelines
We will accept:
- ► Hardcover and paperback books in good condition. We cannot accept damaged books or clearly outdated materials.
- ► Commercially published media (e.g., CDs, DVDs, audiobooks)
We cannot accept:
- ► Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages, soiled, musty, moldy, with smoke or water damage,
or with excessive writing in the text.
- ► Clearly outdated materials (see below for guidelines)
- ► Condensed books (Reader’s Digest)
- ► Professional journals
- ► Encyclopedias
- ► Non-commercially produced media
- ► Cassette tapes
- ► VHS
- ► Textbooks
- ► Workbooks or study guides that are partially or wholly filled in
- ► Harlequinn-type paper-back romance novels
We accept certain materials within specified limits:
- ► Price guides and almanacs (current only)
- ► Medical and financial advice books (less than 3 years old)
- ► Travel guidebooks (less than 3 years old)
- ► Computer manuals (less than 3 years old)
- ► Test preparation guides (less than 3 years old)
- ► Recent editions of magazines (less than 2 months old)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go to donate my books and other items?
- • Please bring donations of books to the Balsam Lake Public Library during open hours.
How much can I claim as a charitable donation?
- • We do not determine the value of the donation. Your tax preparer can assist with this.
Receipts can be provided designating how many paperbacks and hardbacks were donated.
What happens to the items I donate?
- • Depending on the quality and condition of the donated items, they will be put into our general collection;
stored for our annual book sale; given away, or discarded.